Link colors, security, etc.

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:11/30/1998; 3:51:53 PM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

In all Mosaic-derived browsers, links are colored based on whether they have been visited or not. That's not useful information for me, since I tend to visit the same pages over and over. Why not vary the color based on whether the page is in the cache or not? Or whether clicking on that link will do something that I might not want to bo, like opening a new window, sending a mail message, or sending a cookie. I want to know what's going to happen when I click on a link.

I want full TLS support, including encryption without authentication, the El Gamal ciphersuites so that I don't have to pay the RSA tax, and a greater choice of trust models besides "you trust VeriSign; VeriSign trusts any shmuck with $300". Do they call that security? :-)

My C compiler has an "ANSI strict" mode; why doesn't my browser have a "W3C strict" mode? Most people don't take the standards into account when they author their pages because there is no conveninet way to do so. If real browsers had a convenient strict mode built in, there would be NO excuse for Web authors not to follow the standards.