Re: The first XML-based discussion group

Author:Joseph Palmer
Posted:11/30/1998; 3:48:33 PM
Topic:The first XML-based discussion group

This is really, really, cool.

(I wish this had worked last week, because I could have avoided a misunderstanding with the liberal application of tags within the of a poorly composed message.)

I'm not sure why I'm so fired up about XML, but it feels like a historic golden spike that will let a lot of systems talk to each other. One odd example is this: Last time I went to the doctor they had me fill in the standard insurance form. Of course, the form asked for things that were not on my insurance card, (or were there under a different name) and the card contained info not requested by the form. I can imagine one day letting the Doctor 'scan' my card, and the computer can then figure out what goes where. Not a huge application, but it would be nice.