Addresses, Microsoft, and more

Author:Brett Glass
Posted:11/30/1998; 11:45:56 PM
Topic:Happy Thanksgiving!

There are plenty of options besides displaying e-mail addresses. One way is to record the e-mail address during registration but not use it in a mailto: link automatically. Instead, give the user the option of having just the name (no link) there. And if the user WANTS e-mail, link the name link to an input form like the one used to post messages. Put a "cookie" in a hidden field to identify the user, but keep the actual address secret. If the user wants to reveal his or her address, he or she can just reply to the message.

This cuts out spammers very nicely. I build systems like this for my clients in Perl on UNIX.

As for working for Ballmer: Actually, I would have been working for Gordon Letwin... on OS/2. Ballmer was just one of the gauntlet of interviewers I had to run. But the fact that such a crazy man was high up in the company got me worried.

Besides, I had already promised to do work for you. (Yep, that's one of the reasons I passed that opportunity up: I'm one of those silly people who actually tries to keep his word.) Would have probably been filthy rich, though I probably would have left the company on principle rather than participate in its questionable business practices, just as Paul Allen did.

Life in Wyoming with my sweetie is sweet. Wyoming is a fantastic place: clean air, low taxes (no state income tax), low cost of living, friendly people. I could afford a house here without those Microsoft stock options. The University campus is right up the street; that's where I met my wife. And the Internet runs through the back bedroom at a few megabits per second.

Oh, and there's great rock climbing right up the road.

--Brett