Re: Choice vs lock-in

Author:John Jensen
Posted:12/3/1998; 8:41:16 AM
Topic:Choice vs lock-in

Oh, I think the best measure is "how many sources do I have for the API". On that measure Java is kind of in the middle. I can buy a set of APIs (as it were) from Sun, IBM, Inprise, ..., or even Microsoft. On the open extreme I can buy a set of POSIX APIs from all kinds of people. On the closed extreme you have things like the Mac and Windows API which only have a single source.

John