Re: Scripting News items are separate

Author:Adam Trachtenberg
Posted:12/4/1998; 7:44:05 AM
Topic:Search engine comments?

Yea. It's great when people write short capsuled descriptions of each piece of content on their site -- that makes it much easier to find later. If everybody did this universally and accurately, then indexing pages on the Web would be MUCH easier. The hard part is getting people to do this consistantly 100¨f the time.

We've got something similar on Student.Com with our CMS. When an editor writes a story, the templates have spots for a headline and subhead, as well as body text and other similar fields. Then, when we tease the articles on the front of the site and section pages, we can grab the needed fields from the story. Likewise, in our search engine -- due to the nature of out site as a "magazine" instead of "news," the fields aren't as helpful 100¨f the time, but they're still pretty nice.

http://www.student.com/feature/search?search_term=sex<;/A> http://www.student.com/feature/search?search_term=drugs<;/A> http://www.student.com/feature/search?search_term=rock and roll

and this also works with authors, too.

http://www.student.com/feature/search?search_term=&search_fname=wesley&search_lname=morris<;/A>