Re: You end up with the same soup

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:12/5/1998; 7:05:07 PM
Topic:Zope vs. Frontier

Dave Winer wrote:

"I think that Brent is about to have a very interesting experience as he dives into C on Unix. On Unix, C is almost a scripting language, it's so simple."

I'm finding that to be very true. For instance, I'd almost never used printf on Macs or Windows. When working with files I've usually used the various toolbox routines (or wrappers for them). Etc. To be able to use the standard libraries, to be able to write plain K & R C, is pretty cool. It's so straightforward and basic. It's immediately addicting.

On the other hand, I have no idea what it takes to write a GUI app with windows, menus, etc. on Linux, and I'm not sure I want to know.