You end up with the same soup

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/5/1998; 1:55:34 PM
Topic:Zope vs. Frontier

>>There's a "Unix way" to write applications, a "Mac way" and a "Windows way".

It's interesting after four years of Java WORA religion it's come back to that. That's what Bill Gates said. We tried WORA once before (at least). It was called the UCSD P-System. Well, guess what, few people wanted to use software written for a virtual machine, they wanted to use Apple II software, or IBM PC software

BTW, I don't believe that the Mac way is better. I think that Brent is about to have a very interesting experience as he dives into C on Unix. On Unix, C is almost a scripting language, it's so simple.

The Mac way yields applications that are a bitch to understand internally, but are easy to use editors of all kinds. The Unix approach makes very low-tech therefore highly reliable servers.

When Unix gets a standard GUI, if it gets one as rich as Windows or Mac, it will require just as much head-banging to make the software work as users expect it to.

You can push the piles around, but there are no silver bullets, you end up with the same soup if you use the same ingredients.

"Dave"