A better web app client!

Author:Ian Beatty
Posted:12/11/1998; 6:09:44 AM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

Looking over the responses to Dave's original "What if there were a third browser?" post, I've come to a realization: The future is in interactive web applications (look where Frontier is going). Let's get beyond the idea of web browsers as *browsers*! The current Mosaic-based model of a web browser is well suited for looking at static sites, but clumsy as a web app client.

Maybe we ARE stuck with the "forms" standard as the only good way to interact with a web app server. If so, browser implementations of forms interfaces could certainly be improved (e.g. Dave's desire for better text-editing capabilities). And hopefully, better standards will arise.

Just a thought: build a browser with additional "application interface" elements which can communicate with an app server via an XML-RPC standard. Sidestep HTML's limitations entirely!

IMVHO, of course.

-- Ian