Re: Getting Started with NT

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:12/12/1998; 11:45:53 AM
Topic:Getting Started with NT

Metrowerks CodeWarrior comes with a PDF book called something like "From Mac to Windows." At first I thought I'd use that book alot when I was learning Windows programming, but it turns out I didn't.

In descending order, the books that have most helped me are:

Programming Windows 95 by Charles Petzold. It's really about Win32, not just Windows 95.

Inside Visual C plus plus by David J. Kruglinksi. This book is largely MFC-oriented, but it's still cool. With MFC you can do things quickly.

Inside COM by Dale Rogerson. Lots of COM info. COM is pretty central to Win32 programming. My favorite chapter is 11, which talks about IDispatch interfaces and Automation, the behind-the-scenes of the Windows scripting.

Inside OLE by Kraig Brockschmidt. You might call this the Big Book of COM. (COM, OLE, what's in a name?)

ActiveX Controls Inside Out by Adam Denning. More about COM, OLE, and ActiveX.