Re: Visible Windows-based HTTP apps

Author:Dave Newman
Posted:12/14/1998; 5:49:14 AM
Topic:Visible Windows-based HTTP apps

Brent see the Knowledge Base article Q152054 (INFO: Tips for Debugging ISAPI DLLs) which should answer your question about how to run IIS as an process instead of as an service. (The VC query URL is <mk:@ivt:kb/Source/isapi/q152054.htm> )

As for getting IIS to allow a UI to show, you may want to experiment with turning on the "Allow Service to Interact With Desktop" for the "IIS Admin Service" and the "World Wide Publishing Service" via the Services control panel. This may, or may not work.

We have written an IIS plugin which launches child processes and we've seen some unexpected behavior because of the above preference. Essentially, we got a UI when we didn't intend to have one. It turned out to be in part because the above preference was turned on. The rest is a long story involving OLE, services, child processes, how shutdown works on NT, yada yada yada.

--Dave