Re: Announcing MfHC 0.6a2 (youthful coding, etc)

Author:Jacob Savin
Posted:12/14/1998; 7:43:50 PM
Topic:Frontier-related announcements

I'm laughing out loud as I read this thread. I'm in the same boat- I started writing BASIC code at about 12 on a (get this) TRS-80 pocket computer given to me as a gift by a wealthy uncle. Later on, I did BASIC, Forth and Assembly on Apple II (I wrote an entire graphics and presentation package including a crude scripting language, before I'd never heard of scripting), Structured BASIC on Amiga (the best implementation of BASIC I've seen, IMHO), Pascal under DOS, and more recently UserTalk (on Mac) and C-plus-plus (also on Mac).

[ps. why can't I use real plus-signs?]

Reading this thread, I can't help but to reflect a bit, and realize I've been programming in some language or another for (gasp) 16 years! Gosh, has it really been so long?

And the funniest thing is that when I was very new to it, I wanted programming to be my job, and after studying art in high-school, and then music in college, then touring europe with a band (Painting Over Picasso, based in Amsterdam, touring all over western Europe) for about four years, here I am heading from Software QA into application programming. How that's connected to music is a mystery, but I do know I can't throw a stone in the office without hitting a musician. But what I really wonder is how at 12 years old I had already figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up! :-)