How the Search Engine relates to the home pages

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/15/1998; 10:10:48 AM
Topic:Discussion Group messages as search index

The thought-out interface comes in the form of sites for special interests that link into this database, but thru specialized simpler templates.

Have a look at the following sites for examples of where we're going:

http://stories.userland.com/

http://samples.userland.com/

And examples of what we already know how to do:

http://www.scripting.com/

http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/

The search engine, like Alta Vista or Excite, gives you a broad cross-section and will be customizable to restrict searching to specific sites.

So I hear what you're saying, and we agree. But first comes the solution to the problem of capturing all the information that flows thru our keyboards, and as we get that to happen more and more, defining news pages, channels if you will, that only list content of interest to certain audiences.

What you see here is the foundation for an evolution along that track. Thanks for your comments, we'll keep listening.