Re: Criminal Sexuality

Author:pholmes@ucsd.edu
Posted:12/15/1998; 10:11:55 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

"I've changed my mind. Impeachment is the way to go. Enough is enough."

This essay seems more out of frustration than conviction.

The facts have not changed since you've changed your mind, and if you made your original decision on deep principal than the only reason I can imagine that you've changed your mind, is that you've just been worn down by the process.

"We decided to rise above a system where powerful people could demand sex of subordinates."

This is an extremely narrow view of what sexual harrasment is, and one that doesn't even apply to the relationship with Lewinsky.

"The question, now long forgotten, was and is, is he a sexual harasser?"

This has NOTHING to do with the impeachment, absolutely nothing. Even the committee chair has said this is about nothing having to do with sex, only if he lied under oath, and obstructed justice.

"By overlooking Clinton's dishonesty we become complicit"

By impeaching Clinton we follow through with a huge disconnect between what the people want, and what the elected officials do. You might be in the minority, and you are entitled to your opinion. But polling as a modern science is reasonably accurate. This might be the largest disconnect since the Vietnam war.

If Clinton is impeached (and it is VERY unlikely that the senate votes to do so), we destabilize the constitutional relationship between the presidency and the congress, which has often been and will continue to be advisarial. Impeachment should be reserved for removing a President whose acts are BAD for the country, not bad for his family.

Yes he may have lied - I'm OK with that. The statement I hear "well if he lies about one thing, how do you know he doesn't lie about more important things?" Because I trust him to judge whats important - imagine that. A president will always have to use his own judgement, we hired him to do a job and we can't be involved at every single step. Presidents in the past have lied about covert operations in Cuba, Chile, etc that were far worse 'lies' than what Clinton did.

He was protecting himself in a situation he felt was independent of the health of the country - obviously that didn't end up being the case, but that is more the fault of the ravinous media and the opportunistic opposition.

-Preston