Foreign Affairs

Author:Fabio Turel
Posted:12/16/1998; 1:44:24 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

I invite all of you to look at the subject from a different point of view: there are lots of international issues and many said that "there are more important things to look at now".

I think that the USA simply cannot tolerate a fact that Clinton's behavior will force. Every time a military action will be considered against a foreign country (and we all look at Iraq now but could be anything else), someone will think that this is to make US citizens look away from the President's private issues.

Remember that not anybody in the world looks at the USA as a friend, but everybody looks at the USA as the most powerful nation. A citizen of a country which is outside the NATO could be reasonably afraid of the USA and look at them as a potential menace.

I feel neutral about the citizens of USA and of any other nation worldwide, but I don't necessarily feel neutral about their governments. I will surely look with more respect (and trust) at the USA and its politics if Clinton would resign - or would be forced to. This is not because I think that those crimes are bad (sure, I think they are horrible but this doesn't matter here) - what I want to say is that the values that Americans seem to consider as important are offended by those crimes, and - if the President will be proven guilty - Americans, to be coherent, should want a new president. Democratic, Republican, Communist or whatever they feel could well represent their values.