Nope... on this one subject, it's probably the truth

Author:hbobrien@yahoo.com
Posted:12/16/1998; 3:00:06 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Dave:

I agree in part, disagree in part... but there's one thing I have to comment on.

When you say, "Yesterday Clinton said he hasn't even thought about resigning. Hasn't even crossed his mind. Are you kidding? On it's face it's a lie."

I can only say -- as I say to all who have asked for Mr. Clinton's resignation -- just what planet are you on?

Bill Clinton -- clearly, obviously, for his entire adult life -- has a bedrock belief in his ability to persuade a small, retail group of people (say, a jury -- even a jury of 100 members) to his point of view. Given that, there is no way he believes that he's convictable. Under any, repeat, *any* circumstances.

And, to date, there's nothing to gainsay that point of view.

The Senate won't convict him... It would take twelve Democratic Senators to do so. It won't happen -- and if you think it will, go over to THOMAS, pull up the roster, and name names. Which ones?

I cannot see Bill Clinton resigning under any circumstances. Being President is more important to him than the good of the country. It's more important to him than his family. It's probably (though I wouldn't want to see this tested) more important to him than life itself.

Given all that... Yes, I absolutely believe him when he says he hasn't considered resignation. Why should he? Give me a reason why, from *his* point of view -- not yours, and not what you believe to be for the best of the country. His. Taking into account with all we've been able to observe of him.

While you're at it, ponder this thought: Think about Mr. Clinton's internal mythos about being "The Comeback Kid". What bigger comeback is possible than to be impeached -- and then not convicted? I submit that, while the spin has been that the White House is worried, Mr. Clinton himself probably looks forward to it -- he's always been a drama queen, and there is no bigger drama than this in US politics.

Yrs in truth, etc.

-- Hal