Mature Democracy

Author:Vitor Conceicao
Posted:12/16/1998; 9:23:03 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

I think you got right on the point.

I don't know about Italy, but I can't say that Brazilis a Mature Democracy. We've been thru political turmoil since the proclamation of republic in the end of last century.

And like I wrote in another message we've been thru more than 2 years of military rule, and right now our democracy is starting to work a bit better, but we still have a long way to go.

Sometimes I think that the worst thing that happened to Brazil's history was the proclamation of the republic, we had a wise emperor, who had a passion for photography and was the one who brought the telephone to Brazil (we were one of the first countries to have telephones). His daughter who would be his sucessor was the one who signed the act which freed the slaves and the country was going very well in this times.

Then came the military and dethroned him, and all the firsts military presidents had their government interrupted with lots of problems. From then on we've been living in this political turmoil.

Greetings, Vitor.