Re: Let's get the truth

Author:hbobrien@yahoo.com
Posted:12/16/1998; 9:45:40 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Dave:

So... if you and I don't have the facts, does this mean you're calling for Mr. Clinton's resignation on the basis of your personal speculation?

Let alone, if he resigns, doesn't that short circuit the Constitutional process?

One of my long standing mottoes is, "Everything is provisional, pending better data." But data, in this instance, isn't just the facts of the case.

If this was a normal criminal proceeding, with a semi-random jury about to be sworn in, I'd agree -- there's no way to tell how that jury will vote.

But the Senate isn't such a jury. It's a collection of very well-known individuals, some of whose voting records go back to before either you or I were born. To imply, as you are, that somehow those 100 people are now completely disinterested and objective -- heck, what are you, an economist? :)

I submit that party affiliation and voting patterns are at least as relevant data in this case as what might be called the black-letter facts.

===

Keep in mind, Dave, if I read your writings correctly, I believe at least as strongly as you that we can do better than the current group of officials. I agree that we may be on the cusp of a great change. The Wall Street Journal had an article in the last two days or so that mentioned one of the core rules of politics -- don't alienate your base.

What it *didn't* mention is that the base that most officials rely on today are the two-thirds of the people who *don't* vote -- and this whole process may finally get them back to the polls. It's hard to say.

But even if that does happen -- it'll take a while. Years. It's a very American trait to say that, because something *can* be a certain way, it *should* be, *rightnowthisinstantdamnit*.

In the meantime, those of us who try to deal with the world as it is, as the foundation to making it as it should be... Will keep on digging. :)

I think we agree to how it should be. We just disagree how close we are.

-- Hal