An X-ring circus

Author:Jerome Camus
Posted:12/17/1998; 2:27:44 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Dave's double reversals ("he lied: Out." "We'll keep him." "He harassed: out!") makes it hard to accept any reasoning whatsoever as to what to do. Both positions sound valid on their own respects.

It is also very symptomatic of what America communicates to the rest of the world - & this is where America really looks bad: - a guy who dodged the draft, & did not really own up to what he believed in - a guy who said I didn't inhale (ha!) - electors choose him nonetheless - some inquiry to financial wrong-doings that gets nowhere, that looks covered up - the inquiry takes a tangent into the main guy's extra-marital sex-life - then into another sex story... and another... and another - the press calls for resignation/impeachment because they believe Americans are puritanical. - polls show most Americans couldn't care less about his/her sexual affairs - obviously the sharks smell blood & the main guy will defend himself - electors do not condone the main guy's action - the representative of electors seem to go the other way. Phew ! This has ridicule written all over it.

dave's only valid point is one about sexual harassment. If that is true, than he should suffer the consequences as this crime is now part of American values.

But then, in this world of sharks, who says these cases are not about one of America's favorite pasttimes : getting rich quick ? Eh ? These cases will be very difficult to clearly extricate the truth from fiction ... Only Monica's case is clear - she loves/d the guy a bundle.

Yes, dav, I'll talk to my daughter about obstruction of justice, serious crimes and diamond mining. All of these.

All the rest is political grandstanding. Letting an inquiry into Whitewater spill over into Bill's cigars is obscene, immoral and plain stupid. & the american press never picked up on it. Most of the world would say Bill's personal affairs are his own. Yeah, he lied - but on this personal matter I would give him more than the benefit of the doubt, he was forced to in my opinion (by the spin doctors) 'cause the matter should never have come up.

Bill had only one option: * say to Congress: "I am the President. Here are my professional initiatives. What do you prefer to do ? Deal with them or try to oust me ?" Wait a while to see if Congress is motivated politically or by the betterment of the nation, then resign saying, "in any case, President Gore will carry on these initiatives".. For the good of America & maybe the ROW...

But that was in September.

Yo-yoing around has just increased uncertainty and undermined both Clinton's and America's credibility and standing in the world. Don't you think Benji Netanyahu knows this and furthers his own interests accordingly ?

The circus has to stop. One way or another. 50 bucks says America's press & politicians are not mature enough to close the issue.