Who are you?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/17/1998; 5:05:44 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

I'm going to ask you the question I ask of everyone who accuses me of wrongdoing, who are you? All I know is your email address. You're so willing to talk about me, what about you? Who are you? Where do you live? What do you do? Have you ever changed your mind?

You choose to focus on his extra-marital sex, I don't. I've heard that used as a counter-argument so many times, it isn't a counter-argument against anything I've said or anything I believe.

But since you raised the question, here's what I think. A smart president who wanted to have extra-marital affairs would have the Secret Service do a background check on each of his lovers, just in case she was a North Korean spy or had AIDS, or some other serious problem. He would not have sex in a place of such symbolic value to the country as the Oval Office. And further, since it's likely to give great ammunition to his political enemies when it comes out, and from now on, assume it will come out, I'd like him to consider just having sex with his wife while he's in the White House. It would make me think he's a smart man who isn't self-destructive.

Some of us are mature enough to separate the private stuff from the personal stuff, and then take another look at it and ask kquestions and form our own opinions.

FWIW, my first reversal was based on the assumption that no matter what, Clinton couldn't possibly be so corrupt, stupid or deaf as to miss the point that was being made --> stop spinning (lying) now. Well, to my disbelief, he didn't get the message. Is that impeachable? Of course it is, if the House says it is. And if the Congress is made up of Republicans, that's the will of the people. It's a big Ouija board, one that's lasted for 220 years. It's worked so far, the US is doing fine.

A couple of other things to think about. Re reversing the will of the people by overturning an election. When Clinton was elected in 1992 the will of the people was split three ways between Bush, Perot and Clinton. Clinton got more votes than either of the other two, but he did not get a majority.

And then finally, where are the women? I have a couple of male friends who have been accused of sexual harassment, it turns out falsely, and watched their careers and friendships go on hold while judgement was being passed on them. Their personal lives were opened up, sex and everything. I rationalized this by saying that it's for the greater good, there certainly is sexual harassment, and it's best to get it out. Now, when the charges are about a liberal president who the liberal feminists like, we're supposed to not look. It makes us wrong for wanting to know, we're prudes or victorians. Name-calling, defensiveness, it's ugly and unfair. How are the men supposed to interpret this? Are the sexual harassment laws gone now? Should we start demanding blow jobs in return for career advancement?

Dave