Re: Technography

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/17/1998; 7:59:19 AM
Topic:Technography

I agree with you Bernie. Technically, we're getting very close with the Active Script Control feature on Windows that will allow us to connect up with common editing tools that support COM.

The next thing to do will be to figure out which ones have good enough wires to be able to participate. We're learning now that there's still evangelism to do. And in the meantime, there are some projects going on to wire up some of the apps you mention, and others, to XML-RPC, so they can participate, in a very natural way in this network that's developing.

On the other hand, I think we have the best outliner on Windows, and we're already able to control that editor (we have the source code for it). So that's an area where there is nothing in the way of our exploration, except time.

Imagine a network of people talking on the phone, on a conference call, and on their computer screen is an outline that you're logging the meeting notes in. As the meeting is happening, the outline is being updated on all their screens simultaneously. All they need is Frontier and a net connection. That's all you, the technographer, needs too.

My job is to get the tools in your hands, as you want them, so you can work your magic. I've had that job once before, and we know how well it worked then, it can work much better now, because the technology and the market are both much more mature.

Keep setting the priorities for us in this area. You da man!

Dave