Re: People With Minds

Author:Josef Fortier
Posted:12/22/1998; 2:12:29 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Pragmatism and Generational Perspectives

I was born in 1961 and have spent my life in the shadow of the cultural wars of the generation just barely ahead of me. The issues that lit the fires, were defining, were social wasteland by the time I was in any position to participate. This engenders an odd combination of extremism and pragmatism at my core. The devisive and rebellious battles fought before me expose disturbing truth, but exposed that truth suggests to me an even more more disturbing notion, that I cannot avert my eyes from, that at the core of all cultural reality is an inescapable element of corruption and compromise. In short, heroism and villainy are of degree, all who aspire to magnify their greatness also magnify to at least some degree their evil.

I do believe in truth and honour. I need to say that for my own soul. But I do not see the comfort of rightousness as fostering either truth or honour. The only profound honour I see is accompanied by doubt and moral risk, and, at there core, as much an accident and gift as they are the results of work.

**

Desirelessness is freedom. Desire for spiritual purity is a most subtle trap.

**

The stark clarity of black and white, though beatiful at times, can be a poor tradeoff for the lack of the richness of color.

*

I believe Mr. Winer, in striking a generational note, comes very close to the truth. The current issues are at core played out for the soul of the 60's generation. As much as the new left is a child of the 60's so is the new right. Both emphasize moral purity as a primary good. Newt is as much a flower child as Bill, the rhetoric of politics now plays to principal above pragmatism. This will change, and change back again many times over the life of a nation. For me though, the truth will always call me away from absolutes.

**

Tragedy then Farce

My first real memories of politics as an institution were around Nixons re-election. I remember the feelings from a Republican family watching the growing sense of resignation regarding his behavior. I remember the core feeling I had, "We voted for him, but he has to go". Therein lies the core of my objections to the current foolishness. For I have never felt that in regards to zippergate. Naked partisianship has ruled the day

I have never been in that Clinton camp. From the moment I heard of him I heard of the sleaze, and his obvious pandering was always disturbing. I could have been won over, but no effort was expended. The debate was aimed at the true believers and the rush to judgement was relentless. I cannot hold truck with any of the show for that reason, for, without real effort toward consensus, impeachment is pure politics, nothing more, for it was never allowed to be anything else for most of us.

In the end, this seems more about tactics then judgement, ends rather then means (from both camps), the past and present rather then the future. It seems clear to me the most important legacy of impeachment will be the tactics it legitimates rather then what goals it achieves. It still seems murky to me, though, as just what tactics will be legitimated.

Joe