Re: People With Minds

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:12/22/1998; 6:33:45 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

As a foreigner (temporarily in the USA at this moment and so getting all the news coverage), I find the preoccupation with the President curious. It seems to me he is mostly a figurehead, much the same as our Governor General in New Zealand. He has certain diplomatic functions, opens schools and hospitals, and signs legislation passed by parliament, but has little actual power.

This is an important job, but it is one for which a good many people are qualified. We normally choose former ambassadors or former Prime Ministers who though perhaps defeated in an election never the less finished their political career with their reputation intact.

Probably the most important qualities of a Governor General are integrity and statesmanship. So it is, I think with the US presidency. The president must be able to meet and negiotiate with foreign leaders in an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust. It must be plain to all that his concern is with the interests of the country and not with himself.

It is clear that Bill Clinton has disgraced himself and his office. Even his fellow Democrats agree with that. Maybe he is technically innocent of the charges of perjury and witness tampering and abuse of power. But it doesn't matter. The fact that there is enough doubt of his character and actions that the charges withstand prima facie examination is reason enough for him to be replaced. He should step down, and if he will not step down then he should be removed.

There is much talk of the "bar being lowered" on impeachment. I'm not sure that this is the case. Getting 2/3 of the Senate to convict is *always* going to be a very difficult thing -- as it was designed to be -- and in fact appears unlikely to happen in this case. I think that if anything this proves that the bar is too high. No US president has *ever* been removed from office by impeachment. Is it really true that none ever deserved removal? Or have the others, such as Nixon, simply had more sense of honour than Clinton and (eventually) done the right thing?