Re: People With Minds

Author:steve@woz.org
Posted:12/22/1998; 7:07:15 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Many are up in arms against the Republicans, swearing that they'll vote Democratic.

Don't they think that the Demo's would have done the same had it been their turn? The problem is with politics itself. It's hard to say whether the Republicans went overboard to embarrass the president or whether the Democrats went overboard to save him from this ultimate embarrassment. Or whether the Republicans wanted the 'biggest' win in politics and the Demo's didn't want the biggest 'loss', and neither cared particularly what embarrassment the president received.

To those who are upset at the impeachment, perhaps you're upset at politics itself, not just whichever party did it this go-around.

There was a parallel. The war in Vietnam. It didn't seem right, it didn't seem popular, yet it continued right past Nixon's secret plan to end it. Ellsberg pointed out the forces involved in the political structure that were stronger than a few, or a lot of, elected officials. Plus, we were led into this war largely based on deliberate deceptions by our government. Sound familiar?

Did you ever want the truth? Don't our elected officials work for us?

Wrongful games were played with my life by my government during this war that I've never forgotten them. Games involving my draft status. They formulated my entire non-political stance. I don't want to support a system that allowed them to happen, not even by voting. When you vote you say thet you support the system, whoever wins, if you are responsible (not many are?). You can vote against the political system by not voting.

I actually did vote, maybe twice. McGovern and Carter and Libertarians, that's all. I was one of the most 'different' delegates ever, for Hart, just because I answered the phone one day and said "OK." I think that Clinton is doing a fine job and I support him at that. But everytime someone lies the way he does, making themself sound pure with carefully chosen words that hide the truth but are arguably not perjury, I grit and hope that they get punished someday. They are masters at choosing words, not writing good code or something productive.

It's nice to see such misdeeds by the powerful finally punished on a large scale. Things won't change much because this sort of game is the norm in business and government, but at least one person got nailed. Probably two once the Demo's get a chance for political revenge.

Steve