Re: How are we doing?

Author:Michael Esveldt
Posted:12/22/1998; 7:12:52 PM
Topic:How are we doing?

The big thing that makes the Discussion Group different from the old mail pages is that some filtering has to be done on the part of the user. That's one of the hard things to learn about the internet in general, how to filter.

Any subject worth serious discussion can provoke passionate feelings. Those can be expressed intelligently or unintelligently. To get something out of all these messages you have to know what to ignore and what to read. It takes a little practice but I think we're lucky here, the concentration of interesting conversation is quite a bit higher than the rest of the internet.

I don't think its a failure, as always one must personally filter the flames, and think about the best comments. Dave, you've helped a lot in this by linking some of the interesting threads with Scripting News. I've found that following those links and browsing backwards and forwards through discussions rather than reading every post allows me to get the cream of the crop from the discussion group.

Michael