Plea: MathML/etc. in Frontier

Author:Ian Beatty
Posted:12/23/1998; 12:02:52 PM
Topic:Plea: MathML/etc. in Frontier

Those of us in fields that regularly mix mathematical notation (superscripts, Greek letters, equations, vector signs, etc.) have great difficulty adapting our work to the Web and HTML. HTML is just not math-friendly. I am very excited about the possibilities that I see Frontier creating for me as it evolves, but until I can create and move around math-containing content as easily as I can straight text, I'm going to have trouble doing what I need to do.

And while I can accomplish a fair amount with HTML markup like and , the people I develop for and support won't stand for much less than WYSIWYG convenience. I'd love to run a content system with a DiscussionGroup-like interface right now, but straight text just doesn't cut it for what I need.

I recognize that the problem isn't fundamentally Frontier's, but HTML's. I'm hoping that MathML comes along soon. My plea to UserLand: please, please don't forget people who need math integrated with our text (scientists, engineers, teachers of technical subjects), and try to keep Frontier on the leading edge of MathML or whatever technologies might help us.

-- Ian