New Macs

Author:Mike Cohen
Posted:1/6/1999; 9:57:11 AM
Topic:How Frontier Changed My Life

First of all, I've been a Mac user, developer, and supporter since 1984.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the iMac? I think it looks really cheap & ugly. The new colors are just as ugly. It was bad enough the original had such limited expansion options, but now Apple took out the Mezzanine slot, which was the only thing that gave any hope of upgrading. They also got rid of IRda, another good option for printing & networking.

I'm also disappointed in the new PowerMacs, since they have that same ugly color as the iMac and don't support SCSI. Am I supposed to throw away my old Zip drive & SCSI scanner?

The last really fantastic looking machine Apple made was the 20th Anniversary Mac, although the PowerBook G3s are very attractive. I wish Apple would have gone further in that direction for future Macs, making them slim, black, and futuristic looking rather than a cheap, ugly piece of plastic.