Re: New Macs

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/6/1999; 11:04:03 AM
Topic:How Frontier Changed My Life

The first time I saw an iMac I saw something wrong right away. The outer casing made the Mac screen look wrong. iMac *is* a new look, and it shows how dated the UI of the Mac is. FWIW, I think a Windows UI would look just as out of place in an iMac box.

Maybe it'll all hang together when they redesign the Mac UI, but then they're going to have a fight with all those braincells that know how to make the Mac UI do its thing.

OTOH, he's also right that megabytes and caches and 10-base-T go over a lot of people's heads, a lot of people who could get the benefit of a one-size-fits-all computer, which is what he's selling.

BTW, the lack of expandability makes sure you'll be interested in buying the box he's selling in 2001.