Re: It's like standing in an ice cream parlour

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:1/7/1999; 8:45:53 AM
Topic:How Frontier Changed My Life

Corporate IS doesn't dictate what computer systems go into the enterprise -- that's a myth.

The reality is there's as much dictating going the other way. Companies now buy whatever computers and/or operating systems their employees use at home, to keep training costs low and keep them quiet. Sure, you here about the odd case where this doesn't happen, like Lockheed, etc, but that's uncommon, and stupid, I believe.

At a (very, very large) company I worked at, they were very successfully using Win 3.11, for a long long time.

Did they decide to upgrade to NT this year because it would make their support burdens so much easier, and save them money? Don't make me laugh. They upgraded because by the end of 97 all of their employees had Win95 boxes at home and they bitched constantly about having to use Windows 3.11 at work.... and so did the IS staff. Plus, all the new employees they were getting didn't know Win 3.11 since they had Win95 boxes at home too.

If Apple can take over the home market, that'll erode into small businesses, and it will help it win back part of the enterprise.

So let the Mac be a toy...

Anyone who seriously asks whether the red Mac and purple Mac are compatible is not a person to be worried about in the long run. :-)