Re: Printer's Inc. & Kepler's

Author:Jason Ehrlich
Posted:1/8/1999; 6:24:11 PM
Topic:Printer's Inc. & Kepler's

I also thought the Wired article was a little bit off. I think one of the other main reasons Printer's is closing is that California St basically closes at 8pm, so they don't have much walk-in business down there. (As opposed to Kepler's, which is usually pretty crowded on the nights I've been down that way, and of course as opposed to Border's on University Street which has lots and lots of walk-in business.).

So I think blaming the demise of the local bookstore on Amazon.com is a little bit much. Printer's has been in demise for a while. Kepler's had a much more professional-looking store. So does the Stanford University Bookstore, incidentally, which is also a "local" store. They've got a great selection.

But I will admit that I found the Printer's cafe a decent place to study. The coffee is fair, yeah, but the hot chocolate and the cookies are really good! Luckily the cafe will be staying with us. Maybe they'll keep the newsstand too.

Enough local lore, perhaps. (is that chinese place next to Printer's really that good, though? )