Re: Printer's Inc. & Kepler's

Author:Dave W. Smith
Posted:1/9/1999; 9:32:25 PM
Topic:Printer's Inc. & Kepler's

One aspect of the impact of Amazon on the local bookstore is the long lag between cause and effect. I used to make a buying trip to Printer's Inc. whenever the reading queue got low. I still go there, and still buy books, but a look at the office bookshelf shows that most of my professional business now goes to Amazon. I pull up the Amazon site, gesture at it, and books magically appear a few days later. That this, combined with hundreds of other people doing the same, might contribute to my local bookstore going *poof* doesn't enter my consciousness. Printer's Inc. is within walking distance, but Amazon is closer. And many of us are helping make it that way.