The Scoop on alphaWorks

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/9/1999; 6:03:01 AM
Topic:The Scoop on alphaWorks

After posting an item on Scripting News a couple of days ago asking for help getting in touch with people at IBM's alphaWorks site, I got a response from a PR person in IBM's Java group who is a regular Scripting News reader, and she arranged a phone call with John Wolpert, who runs the small organization that does the alphaWorks site.

http://alphaworks.ibm.com/

My reason for wanting to talk with them was to promote the idea of cooperation on XML-RPC. I regularly check in at the alphaWorks site and think it's just a matter of time before some researchers at IBM come out with their own way to do distributed computing using XML and HTTP. Since it's so early in this technology, I wanted to see if we could be compatible.

http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/xml/code/rpc.html

We had a great talk, and I sent a pointer to our XML-RPC spec into the IBM aether, so maybe something interesting will happen. I'm always surprised to find out who's reading Scripting News. Maybe it can be a force for good among the giants of our industry! We'll see..

Dave

PS: If anyone from IBM wants to discuss XML-RPC, send me an email or if you're reallly feeling open, post a response to this message.