Re: Sidebar to the MacWEEK story

Author:Philip Suh
Posted:1/10/1999; 6:26:16 PM
Topic:Sidebar to the MacWEEK story

Actually, we used Frontier to help fight the cracker.

Once we saw the site getting hacked, I wrote a Frontier script to check the sites and upload fresh copies of the page from our staging server (which had not been compromised) to the live server. In the Wired article the cracker says that he 'posted the cracked page more than 20 times in a game of cat and mouse' with the webmaster. Actually, he was trying to out-upload a Frontier script.

The script gave Jeff (the webmaster) more time to focus on plugging the leak.

As for the cracker, I understand the temptation to embarrass someone and flaunt a security hole--but he's a pompous jackass who was only interested in the notoriety. I know he could have done a lot more damage, and chose not to, but I don't think he should expect gratitude for keeping us all at work late--during a very busy time for the site.

Bah.