Re: HTML Refresh Language

Author:Mark J. Gardner
Posted:1/11/1999; 7:37:51 AM
Topic:HTML Refresh Language

Yes, it was sarcastic.

I agree that HTML fails as a UI specification language. The problem is that with the web, we want to mix interactivity with documents, and most attempts to shoehorn good UI design onto the web reduce its "document-ness".

It would be nice if there were a standard, degradable, and easy-to-author UI spec language, and if it could coexist and compliment HTML and vice versa. But I don't think putting more cruft on HTML is the answer.

Nicer still would be if there were a single vocabulary for expressing the continuum that spans from highly interactive spaces all the way to static documents. But I'm talking beyond my depth here. Oh well.