Re: The Quake Guy Talks

Author:Philip Suh
Posted:1/11/1999; 8:06:38 AM
Topic:The Quake Guy Talks

When I hear Carmack say 'throw out the MacOS', I take him figuratively--throw out the parts that don't work--and move to a modern memory management and preemptive multitasking. Which is what they are trying to do.

Reading Carmack's .plan files show him to be a smart man. I enjoyed reading about his problem solving and development decisions--he's in at a level so much more detailed than scripting, yet there are similarities in how decisions are made, how to think about the future.

I'm primarily a Mac user--it's refreshing to read the perspective of someone knowledgable about computer systems who is new to the Mac. I need to spend more time w/ Wintel, and learn about their boxes. Hope to buy a Wintel machine sometime late this month, start doing COM and VB and Frontier. Should be fun.

Interesting bit on that page about his vegas experiences. Do a search for 'vegas' and read it.