Re: Frontier-XML Tutorial

Author:Philippe Dambournet
Posted:1/12/1999; 4:44:46 PM
Topic:Frontier-XML Tutorial

Dave:

Think translation! Allow me to exceed the scope of your request a little and suggest a taking a look at a market where Frontier could make serious inroads.

There is a serious, growing market for translation and software localization tools that enable effective collaboration over the Net.

IBM's Translation Manager keeps its data in SGML format. The two main jobs of the application are to provide translation memory and glossaries to the translator and integrate them with a text editor. But although Translation Manager is internally powerful, it is an interface disaster.

Developers should be alerted to the potential of the translation market. With its built-in object database, Frontier seems perfectly suited to creating uniquely powerful, customizable, cross-platform, net-ready translation tools. What is really missing is full Unicode support. You could open up a tremendous market for Userland, perhaps in collaboration with a third party Frontier developer. There could be a cross-platform XML translation suite and it could be a Frontier application.

I would personally be happy to help connect the team with seasoned translators to assist in designing the product to operate with maximun efficiency in the hands of language professionals.

For a very good overview of the various questions involved and the current state of the market, I would suggest getting hold of the latest issue of Multilingual Computing at your local newsagent or visiting their site at http://www.multilingual.com/.

You need to realize that Frontier could soon be expanding into a new area. I am confident that your friend Phil Suh would whole-heartedly agree with me on this.

Philippe Dambournet