Re: W3C

Author:Seth Dillingham
Posted:1/13/1999; 10:03:13 AM
Topic:HTML Refresh Language

--->I guess given its pricing structure W3C just doesnt want to deal with the smaller organisation and individuals, just larger corporates and educationals. I can understand this to keep the idiots out, but some form of limited individual membership that costs say 500 $US - 1000 $US a year would be nice.

--->This sort of membership could have limited submission rights and some limited entitlements. Somebody please let me know if this is going to happen!

--->A real pity that joining is so expensive as I think that startups and dedicated industry professionals are where a lot of good ideas come from, mainly because they have current, real life coal face experince to draw on and forge concepts and ideas with. They are also usually not constrained as much by big corporate structures.

Hey, this sounds like a good idea for a new organization.

Membership would consist of small(?) companies and organizations, each of which pays a small fee to join. They could work together to hammer out cooperative projects and protocols, like XML-RPC and WDDX. Everybody gets an equal say, and no organization gets more than one vote.

Shucks, I know I'd join (as Macrobyte Resources).

Would be a chance to make (at least a small part of) the net "democratic", rather than what it seems to have become lately (ruled by a few forces: the browser vendors and W3C).

Hmm.

Seth