Re: Scripting on Windows - command line apps

Author:Andrew Clinick
Posted:1/18/1999; 5:30:49 PM
Topic:Scripting on Windows

I think I might have a solution for you. I'm the script program manager at Microsoft ( I guess Michael knows that ) and we're working on Windows Script Host 2.0 at the moment. One of the key features we are working on is the ability to pipe programs together, specifically for the reason Michael stated.

We are also looking the ability to run scripts in a seperate process and get information back from the running script: status, stats (time running etc) and be able to terminate the script from the calling script. We also want to be able to start the script on a remote machine using DCOM. The syntax would be reasonably simple:

RunScript(commandline,[servername])

We think this should be a service that any script engine can use so we are adding it to the WSH runtime so any script engine that supports the Windows Script Interfaces (aka ActiveX Scripting Interfaces) can take advantage of it.

What do you think? I would love to get all your feedback on how we can get script integration better in Windows.