Re: Technography

Author:Kate Adams
Posted:1/19/1999; 9:37:29 AM
Topic:Technography

Hi Bernie and folks,

I just started a new job where for the last two weeks I've sort of been acting as a "technographer" - although I didn't realize it had that name until now :-) I attend group meetings with engineers and product managers and take lots and lots of notes (on paper) and then go back later and turn them into electronic documents, which are reviewed and corrected, then used as fodder for things like MRD's, functional specs, and technical specs.

I was given a laptop to take to these meetings but I quickly gave up and went back to hand-writing the notes for two reasons: diagrams and pictures, and "side notes". I'd be interested in anyone's ideas for software that supports drawing diagrams, etc in real time. I can do it in Word but not on the fly!

The "side notes" problem involves things that were said in passing, or written down and then erased, but are still worth capturing. These may turn into conditional or hidden text in the final document but they help me remember the issues and thought processes that went into making a decision. You so often hear "well, I remember we decided to do x, but I don't recall exactly why...". Writing these things down is easy, but if I were using an outliner to shift things around on the fly, I fear I would lose the original thought process. Any ideas here?

I've bookmarked Bernie's site and look forward to further writing from him on this subject.

-Kate