Re: Marquis de Schwarznegger

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/21/1999; 11:43:45 AM
Topic:Marquis de Schwarznegger

as far as i know, there's no one even *like* marc trying to bring the community together as a community. it's really unfortunate- we're sitting on some of the best community networking infrastructure in the world, but no one's done anything remotely interesting with it.

These things tend to be run by very large corporations that disempower individuals and make them jump thru impossible hoops to get any ideas done. Every time I try to do a deal with one of them, I always hit a brick wall. They want me to use a different programming environment. Or they want it to be built in some random database so that ten years down the road they can say they invented it.

So my belief is that in North America at least, the users will figure it out long before the corporations do. You can run whatever software you want to on your server. One day the big corps will wake up, but we don't have to wait for them. That's why we beefed up the serverside of Frontier so much in the last two years. I think there's going to be an explosion of fulltime broadband-connected PCs. What kind of software do you want to run on these systems? I want to have the best development platform for that kind of software.