Re: Positional vs. keyword arguments in XML-RPC?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/22/1999; 9:11:55 AM
Topic:Positional vs. keyword arguments in XML-RPC?

Skip, for what it's worth, Frontier also supports named parameters, allowing exactly the kind of flexibility you ask for.

However, in hashing this out with another group of developers early last year, it became clear that there are environments where named parameters are not supported, and at this moment I don't remember if it's Visual Basic or JavaScript, or whatever.

In Frontier we have a concept of glue scripts, little packages that form a client interface to a server. We use these scripts to hide the possibly ugly details of the transport mechanism from the higher levels. I understand that Python does not need this, and it could work if all we were hoping to do was connect Frontier and Python, but I'd like to leave it this way, with no names on params, and let glue code do the work of simplifying the interfaces for each environment.