Re: Help: Questions about Frontier

Author:Sam DeVore
Posted:1/22/1999; 11:09:30 AM
Topic:Help: Questions about Frontier

Frontier is a powerful content-management tool for me because it can actively store/organize and display information, that it is possible to have the content wholly independent of the content. The shear flexibility for me so powerful. Not only can you store the information in a variety of formats, but you can write scripts that change the format or structure from within the same environment with out using another tool.

I think that it's power also lies in the fact that I was able to learn and shape my thinking in a freely availible environment, to build demonstraitions for administraitor (I'm a teacher in Arizona one of the lowest per student funding states) to help justify the purchase. I was able to prototype a number of systems (that we are using now in Frontier 5.1.6) to convince them that it was worth the money to purchase an educational package (Thanks Dave and UserLand). Also I was able to do this in a very short time, and have been able to begin scaling it to a district wide implementation. All in my free time as a full time teacher and new father.

Form an educators point of view the only really comprable product (price is the essence of comparison in schools) the only thing that I could find that could do some of the same things was FileMaker Pro. Yet it's limitations and lack of flexiblilty outweighed it's ability to deal with data in a relational way. All the other products at the time (maybe even now, I'm too invested/excited by Frontier) seemed to not have the content-management that I needed. Personally I have travel down the road with UserLand personally for a while (I was a passenger enjoying and using products) from Aretha release on. I'm a teacher, free alway appeals to me. I worked in the Clay basket (I even still have a site out there in mangaged by Clay).

I hope this is a help, I have to go and dig. Here come my students...