Re: Help: Questions about Frontier

Author:James Spahr
Posted:1/22/1999; 3:16:39 PM
Topic:Help: Questions about Frontier

I thought I'd take some time and recount a recent event when Frontier saved me tons of time and sanity.

I'm finishing up a site with a fair amount of Dhtml (javascript manipulating CSS attributes). In this site's products section you can click on a color and see the specs for that particular product in that particular color.

the specs are DIV tags that get the visibility turned on and off when you press on the colors. The DIV tags are given relative x,y locations because we never know how big the type will be above them. (ie. the y location is variable)

okay, quick - figure out how to take 20 stacking DIV tags with relative x,y locations and get them to register perfectly with each other (ie. set the y location as a negative so they all have the same absolute y cordinate as the first DIV tag)

Well you need to know how high all these DIV tags are, right? Each browser (IE Mac, NN Mac, IE Win, NN Win) each calculate the hieght slightly different (IE come closest to following the spec with IE 4.0.1 Mac being perfect). Well all I needed to do was tell Frontier how each browser calculated the hieghts, and presto, 18 product pages with 2 - 24 items on each were created, and wrapping all the versions in xssi tags - they serve correctly to all the 4.0 browsers.

I'd like to see another product for under $1,000.00 do that for me.