Re: Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Author:Hannes Wallnöfer
Posted:1/26/1999; 3:00:38 PM
Topic:Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

JINI does not really requre Java (though Sun doesn't like to point this out), it just requires that you are compatible w/ RMI. You are not prevented from making a clean room implementation of RMI and the JINI protocals in whatever language you wish.

I disagree. RMI works via Java Object Serialization, which requires exact Java class information of all transmitted objects to be present at both the sending and the receiving end. And because all Java classes subclass other classes and Serialization wraps superclass info onion-style, you'll need the whole Java class library in addition to your application classes.

Of course, there's the Java-to-IDL mapping, but I don't think Sun is proposing to put full CORBA ORBs into cell phones and microwave ovens.