Re: What Makes a Good Application Framework?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/11/1999; 5:39:43 AM
Topic:An experiment

FWIW, I think we're all working on the same problem, to deliver nirvana to people who write for the web. Each has special strengths based on history and the talents and experience of the people who develop the software and the people who use it.

Our history started with print publishing systems, then we turned to the web with an offering called AutoWeb, then we tried to turn the web into a productivity application and realized that turned the sysop into a bottleneck, and then we moved to the web as groupware.

Our focus is and has been on the writers. Our product provides technical underpinnings for a systems person to put together a customized editorial system for a group of writers. Over time that is becoming more polished and turnkey. Along the way we've turned our framework into a dynamic serving environment, but primarily for the content development process, or for deploying a not-too-heavy-trafficked site.