Re: Membership RPC handlers

Author:Chuck Shotton
Posted:2/11/1999; 5:57:03 AM
Topic:Membership RPC handlers

Dave, I want to pass along an unexpected bit of serendipity that happened yesterday while I was looking at the first message in this thread on your site.

I was running our Gossip software in the background, letting some of the agent code bake in. (Recall that Gossip has a port 80 HTTP server in it.) Out of curiosity, I clicked on the "RPC" link in that message above, instead of the "View" link we'd used while on the phone. Imagine my surprise when the Gossip software squirted out a quick message about an unsupported RPC method and then my Web browser returned a page from your Frontier server saying that the RPC failed with a result code and message returned from Gossip.

In writing about it now, it's no big deal. But it was interesting to see two totally different software systems which hadn't been tested together actually interact to the point that each knew what the other was trying to do and handled it correctly. That's a pretty serious endorsement for the value and simplicity of the XML/RPC system, IMO.