Re: XML for weblogs

Author:Dan Lyke
Posted:2/12/1999; 2:36:35 PM
Topic:XML for weblogs

Yeah, but most of us running web logs are generating the stuff that actually gets HTTPed from some other base set of data anyway. Mine comes from fairly human-readable e-mail (designed so that I can CC my regular e-mail to the web log and people won't complain), Whump/More Like This comes from SQL tables, Scripting News comes from Frontier's ODB. Generating another format/layout is easy, and if by some stroke of bizarreness the cost of disk storage goes up enough that generating it per-request is necessary, most of us can do that too.

I don't want to get bogged down in hundreds of formats, but I've no objection to supporting one for humans who've set up computers to assist them and one for humans who see the computer merely as a display tool. No matter what, I'll probably always have something that looks roughly right in Lynx anyway, so it's not like I expect this XML format to supplant HTML for my uses in the near-term.