Caches can be murder

Author:Yoz Grahame
Posted:2/16/1999; 11:14:45 AM
Topic:Defeating the browser's cache

I always wondered what those kinds of seemingly irrelevant data was about, now I get it. Thanks!

Well, it's not usually for cache-defeating purposes... more often to pass session/search info. But you probably knew that already.

Although I've never dealt with it personally, a guy I know was ranting at me about AOL's proxy cache. Apparently he's thrown everything he can at it (including this trick and the trick Dave started the thread with) and it just doesn't care - it'll continue serving the cached page. From what he said, it sounds like developing dynamic content that AOL users can use properly is a nightmare.

Can anyone else confirm this?