A topic on topics

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/17/1999; 10:59:27 AM
Topic:A topic on topics

OK, in the middle of the night, thanks to a suggestion from Marc Canter, I made it so that the "topics" page only lists the topics for the current month.

Some people have objected that at the beginning of a month you'd get an empty list. I like empty lists! They fill up. Notice how the flow here slows down in the afternoon? The empty home page on discuss.userland.com is an invitation to start something new. No one ever claims that the monthly archives on Scripting News are empty at the beginning of the month. There's a lot of flow like this on the net, a fresh start every month. I like it.

Anyway, now that creating a new topic isn't such a heavy thing I've added a New Topic command at the top of every page. Please still be conservative about starting new topics, but now I suspect we'll get more new ideas flowing, and we have a developing culture that's closer to what I wanted when I started this DG, let's try a little growth and see what happens. The server software is more stable now too.