Giving Netscape a try

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/19/1999; 6:22:45 PM
Topic:Giving Netscape a try

I've been using MSIE for a while, now I have both browsers running so I decided to try using Netscape 4.5.

I'm looking for info on how to do two things:

1. Reclaim vertical screen real estate. I want the Back, Forward, Reload icons to go away. I want buttons that say Back, Forward, Reloat. I want to keep the location box. I want the bookmarks popup to go away, and all the AOL Instant Messenger stuff. I just want a web browser.

2. I want to turn off What's Related. I don't want to tell Netscape all the sites I go to. It's not at all obvious how to disable it. I remember this being one of the big concerns a few months ago. AFAIK it fails the obviousness test. I have not been warned about the feature, and I have no idea if it's on or off.