Re: Fractional Horsepower HTTP Servers

Author:Daniel G. Budiac
Posted:2/22/1999; 10:40:35 AM
Topic:Fractional Horsepower HTTP Servers

Interesting. I wonder if any other devices have this functionality built in. Scanners would be cool. So would digital cameras.

How about disk drives? Stand-alone storage devices that don't need a computer to live on.

And telephone systems. See who's on the phone, with Caller ID information, duration of the call, etc. Checking voice mail, setting up call-forwarding, etc, all through the browser.

After I posted my original message, it occurred to me: Adding this functionality to consumer devices would be trivial if Sun Microsystem's Jini takes hold.